FIFA 2018 is about to start, and before that first goal is scored. Chai Times presents you with must know facts about the FIFA world cup:
- The World Cup in 2018 will mark the first time Russia has ever hosted this event.
- The 2018 World Cup will be Russia’s 11th World Cup appearance. Their highest ever finish was 4th place in 1966.
- 3.2 billion people (almost half of the world’s population) tuned in to watch the 2014 World Cup.
- The World Cup has been played 20 times, .Brazil with five olds the most titles. Italy and Germany are close behind with four each
- For the first time in the history of soccer, the 2002 World Cup was held in two different countries: South Korea and Japan.
- The oldest goal scorer in the World Cup was. Roger Milla, who was 42 in 1994 when he scored a goal for Cameroon against Russia
- It is rumoured that India withdrew from the 1950 tournament as they were not allowed to play barefoot.
- One of the venues for the 2018 World Cup, Fisht Stadium in Sochi, is the same stadium that hosted the opening and closing ceremonies at the 2014 Winter Games.
- The World Cup trophy went missing for 7 days in 1966, when it was stolen just prior to the tournament.
- The average attendance per game at the 2014 World Cup was over 53,000 fans!
- The highest scoring game in World Cup history was in 1954, when Austria defeated Switzerland 7-5.
- Mexico has the most World Cup losses (25), though they do also have 14 wins and 14 draws.
- The most goals ever scored by one player in a World Cup match is an impressive five, by Oleg Salenko of Russia.
- The World Cup-winning country is rumoured to see a baby boom 9 months after the World Cup. In fact, Hyundai even created a commercial based on this fact.